Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Cloth Dipaper Misconceptions

I've been cloth diapering for over 3 years now, and still enjoy it! I have a clothes line now too so I can use the super powers of the sun and wind. (Those super powers include removing stains while drying clothes without effecting my energy bill). You can check out some of my other posts about cloth here.

I'll agree that cloth diapers aren't for everyone. If you are as passionate about disposable diapers as some are about politics and religion, then cloth is not for you. But otherwise, its worth considering.

First, I want  to clear up a few misconceptions. Then I'll share some other details in another post.

"I don't want to deal with poop"

If poop grosses you out that much, you might want to reconsider having children. Unless you have a full time nanny or you are really good at elimination communication, you will be dealing with poop. And whether you cloth diaper or not, raising children will include a fair amount of various bodily fluids, including poop. Just accept the fact that there will be things like pee, poo and throw up on clothes, in beds, and on you. Or cover your house, furniture and floor in plastic and wear a rain coat all the time.

That being said, cloth diapering has not increased the amount of poop I have to handle (unless I'm doing the flats and handwashing challenge). Breast fed poop is water soluble so it goes straight from babies bum to the wet bag to the washing machine. And since EBF poop is also more prone to blow outs, I highly recommend cloth diapering for as long as the baby is breastfed, even if you don't want to after. As far as dealing with more solid poops, there is a multitude of ways to do that.

"Cloth is too much work"

That's completely a matter of perspective. Choose the system that's best for your needs. You have to deal with the diapers before and after the baby wears them either way. Would you rather have more trips to the store(or online orders) or a bigger up front purchase and more laundry? Would you rather have more stinky garbage or laundry? And if laundry is your nemesis, there are cloth diaper washing services available, and probably neighbors that would be willing to do your diaper laundry for some extra income.

"Cloth smells funny"

This may be true if the wash routine needs tweaked. Otherwise, I prefer the smell of cloth over plastic but that's personal preference.s

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below. I look forward to hearing what you have to think!