Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Flats and Handwashing 2013: Day 2

For this weeks Flats and Handwashing Challenge, I have a variety of diapers and other tools I'm using. The diapers are ones I already use full time.
  • 21 osocozy flats (we keep 3 in emergency storage) = less than $60
  • 3 Walmart flour sack towels = less than $5
  • 1 bamboo terry flat = about $13
  • 4 covers = less than $40 
  • 20 wipes = about $20
  • Snappis = less than $5
Diaper & wipe total: less than $145
 
This is my stash. In case you were wondering, that is a BUM-ble bee on top. Tee-hee.


The bamboo flat is new, but I've been using everything else for quite some time. Most of the flats were used for the challenge last year too. We have a handful of prefolds we often incorporate, especially for nights.

I could get by with less if I wanted, but it is pretty awesome to realize that ALL my diapers from birth to potty training (and we can use them again on the next kid) cost just over $100. And I use the diapers and wipes as burp cloths, snot rags, nursing covers and whatever else is convenient at the time!

If I had sewing skills or really wanted to save more, I could easily save more money, but I think this is still a pretty good deal! My son is over 14 months old now, and we have only spent a little over $100 on diapers (I often found better deals than the prices listed above) and about $26 on wipes (I keep some dollar store disposable wipes on hand for traveling).

Usually I use a wetbag as well, but this week I'm just tossing stuff directly in the tub. There are also a few other items I'm using for hand washing that I use more than just this week, or for more than diaper purposes. You can see some pictures of them in action in yesterday's post.
  • A super awesome showerhead that doubles as a diaper sprayer
  • Mini plastic washboard = about $7
  • Small green pail = $3
  • Froggy Potty for conserving diapers a few times a day (and when we are lucky, making #2 easier to clean up)
  • Clothes drying rack
  • spray bottle with water + Essential Oils
  • Country Save detergent
Even with splurges like a nice cover (I have the "Hoot" pattern), or a bamboo flat, I still feel like we are saving a lot of money compared to disposable diapers, plus I love that I don't need to ever go to the store to get diapers.

Airplane fold (just learned it on facebook) for our night time diaper!

Other posts from the Flats and Handwashing Challenge 2013:


Other posts from the Flats and Handwashing Challenge 2013: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below. I look forward to hearing what you have to think!